Scouts Australia NSW has participated in Graffiti Removal Day over the past four years and in 2016 we’ve been invited to get involved in the fight against graffiti once again.
Thanks to the support of community organisations including Scouts, last year’s Graffiti Removal Day was a huge success with nearly 2000 volunteers removing 20,900 square metres of graffiti from over 450 sites in 56 local government areas across New South Wales. This mammoth effort saved the government and private property owners an estimated $1.4 million.
This is a great opportunity to do something worthwhile for your community, so if you’re 12 years or older (this means Scout Groups, Venturer Units and Rover Crews) you should consider participating in this year’s event held Sunday, 30 October 2016.
How do I get my Group involved?
There are many ways to get involved in Graffiti Removal Day. You may choose to become a Local Government Area (LGA) Coordinator, Site Supervisor, Clean-up Volunteer or simply nominate a site.
Local Government Area (LGA) Coordinators will be responsible for identifying at least one clean-up site in their LGA, working in collaboration with local councils, property owners, government agencies, community groups, businesses and volunteers.
LGA Coordinators will develop site-specific project plans, manage volunteers, ensure the safety of participants, assist with local publicity, and collect data for the evaluation report. If you’d like to be an LGA Coordinator, please register before Friday, 19 August 2016. Training will be provided.
To assist with volunteer management, LGA Coordinators will appoint a Site Supervisor to organise and manage volunteers at each clean-up site. The Site Supervisor will be chosen from among the clean-up volunteers who register to participate in Graffiti Removal Day.
Volunteers who just want to help remove graffiti will be able to register to participate in Graffiti Removal Day either through the website or by completing a registration form on the day.
Clean-up sites can also be nominated from Monday 22 August to Monday 3 October 2016 through the Graffiti Removal Day website.
To volunteer or nominate a site, head over to the Graffiti Removal Day website or call 1300 665 310.
You will then be contacted by the Graffiti Removal Day Volunteer Coordinator to learn the next steps.
Local Government Areas that need LGA Coordinators and Volunteers
Before registering for Graffiti Removal Day, please check if any of the following Local Government Areas are near you. These particular areas desperately need LGA coordinators and volunteers.
- Botany Bay
- Cooma- Monaro
- Goulburn Mulwaree
- Lake Macquarie ie Belmont, Charlestown, Morriset, Warners Bay area
- Port Macquarie Hastings
- Snow Valleys
- Upper Lachlan
What are the benefits for getting involved in Graffiti Removal Day?
- Provides an ideal opportunity to clean up graffiti from your hall at no cost
- Clearly demonstrates that graffiti is not acceptable in your community
- Removal of graffiti improves the environment visually
- A ‘no graffiti environment’ provides an increased feeling of safety and therefore more likely to attract new members to your Scout Group.
- Painting out graffiti is a common task that can be undertaken by all adults
- Provides an ideal opportunity for youth to learn the skills of painting
- Can be made into a fun social activity – put on a simple BBQ
- Removal of graffiti can provide an opportunity to be included in badge-work
- Graffiti Removal Day can be used for pre and post event publicity/promotion for your organisation in the local community
- Rapid removal of graffiti is the best form of defence against further long term attacks
Do we need to supply our own materials?
Most material and equipment for Graffiti Removal Day 2016 will be supplied by major sponsors including Dulux, Selleys and Smart Graffiti.
These are supplied in pre-packaged kits. There are two types of kits, “Paint” and “Graffiti removal solution”.
The paint kit contains paint brushes, paint rollers and trays, paint tin openers, bucket, scourers, rags, rubbish bags, gloves, overalls and paper towels.
The graffiti removal solution kit contains removal liquid, rags, gloves, scourers, safety glasses, overalls, rubbish bags, bucket and paper towels.
We strongly encourage you to join in the fight against graffiti – register today!
For further information visit the Graffiti Removal Day website or call 1300 665 310