Congratulations to those who received Queen's Birthday honours for their services to the community, particularly Scouting in New South Wales.
COMPANION (AC) IN THE GENERAL DIVISION OF THE ORDER OF AUSTRALIA
Mr Richard Harold SMITH AO (also known as Dick Smith)
For eminent service to the community as a benefactor of a range of not-for-profit and conservation organisations, through support for major fundraising initiatives for humanitarian and social welfare programs, to medical research and the visual arts, and to aviation.
Mr. Smith has made substantial contributions and has provided ongoing support to a range of organisations:
- Not-for-profit organisations include: Variety Australia; Life Education Australia; Surf Life Saving Australia; Australian War Memorial Vietnam Veterans display; and The Slim Dusty Foundation.
- Environment and conservation organisations include: National Parks and Wildlife (Tasmania); Arkaroola Wilderness Sanctuary; Wildlife Warriors International; and Clean Up Australia Environment Foundation.
- Aviation organisations include: Royal Flying Doctor Service; and Temora Aviation Museum.
- Charities include: The Wayside Chapel.
- Medical Research organisations include: Health Psychology Research Unit, University of Technology Sydney.
- Arts organisations include: National Museum of Australia.
- Business: Founder, Dick Smith Foods (since the commencement of Dick Smith Foods all profits have been donated to charity and community organisations), 1999.
- Aviation: Chairman, Civil Aviation Safety Authority, 1997-1999; Member, Aviation Reform Group, 2002- 2004.
- Consulting Professor, Department of Biology, School of Humanities and Science, Stanford University, since 2012. Chairman, National Centenary of Federation Council, 1996-2000. Author, 'Dick Smith's Population Crisis : the dangers of unsustainable growth for Australia', 2011.
- Recognition includes: Inducted into the Australian Aviation Hall of Fame, 2013.
- Recipient, Presidents Award, Scouts Australia, 2011. (The highest award given to a non-uniformed person).
- Named Adventurer of the Year', Australian Geographic Society (First Trans-Tasman Balloon flight), 2000.
MEMBER (AM) IN THE GENERAL DIVISION OF THE ORDER OF AUSTRALIA
Mr Geoffrey Keith MORGAN
For significant service to the Scouting Movement, and to the community through executive roles in business, Indigenous education and sporting organisations.
- Deputy Chairman, Scout Association of Australia, current;
- Member, The Sir Vincent Fairfax Scholarship Fund Committee, 5 years;
- Member, Recruitment Committee.
- Committee Member, Australian Scout Education and Training Fund, 5 years;
- Committee Member, New South Wales Branch - Scouts Association Queen's Scout Scholarship, 10 years.
- Contributor, The Barn Whaling Station, Mosman, in conjunction with the Scouts Australia, 2002 - 2006;
- Fundraiser, A Night of Stars', Taronga Zoo, 2004.
- Involved, National Centre of Indigenous Excellence, since 2006.
- Contributor, Australian Indigenous Mentoring Experience, no dates.
- Supporter, Teen Spirit Foundation, current.
- Mentor, Cape York Group, no dates.
- Involved, Djarragun College, Cairns, Queensland, no dates.
- Chairman, Confederation of Australian Motor Sports Foundation (CAMS), since 2011.
- Co-Founder and Director, Morgan and Banks, Recruitment Firm, 1985 - 1998; Co-Founder, Morgan and Banks Foundation, 2002.
- Co-Founder, Talent2 (human resources and recruitment firm), since 2006.
- Recognition includes: Co-Recipient, Master Entrepreneur of the Year, Ernest and Young, 2004.
MEDAL (OAM) OF THE ORDER OF AUSTRALIA IN THE GENERAL DIVISION
Mr Neville COWGILL
For service to the community of Eden, and to youth.
- Range of executive roles including District Commissioner, Scouts Australia, since 1969 and Cub Scout Leader, 1st Eden Cub Pack, 1999 - 2015; Attended 28 Jamborees and Cuborees; Completed numerous training and leadership programs and has been a Member for 46 years.
- Member, Eden Sub-Branch of the Returned and Services League, current and served 15 years as Treasurer.
- Member, Eden State Emergency Services, since 2010.
- Member, Volunteer Coastal Patrol, Eden Marine Rescue, 29 years.
- Involved, The Eden Community Services and Social Club, since 2006; Treasurer, 2009 - 2011.
- Member, Twofold Yacht Club, 52 years; held numerous executive roles including Commodore, 1987 - 1988 and 1981 - 1984; actively involved in the annual regatta, 40 years.
- Member, The Eden Foreshore Committee, 2004-2015.