Group: 1st Narrabri West
Project: Kitchen Renovation
1st Narrabri West successfully approached their first grant application with a lot of enthusiasm, good humour and a winning team spirit.
Here are some of their learnings Julia kindly shared for others benefit:
- First and foremost – believe in your project! You are as competitive as others provided your application meets all the criteria.
- Be prepared, plan and do your background work to ensure that you are aware of all the elements that can affect your project. Replacing the kitchen cabinets may involve electrical or plumbing work so it’s important to consider aspects that may not necessarily be obvious from the outset.
- Being organised goes a long way and makes life easier. Whilst any grant application is a team effort, consistency in communication is absolutely key to avoid confusion or duplication off efforts. This can be achieved by having one person being responsible for the paperwork and acting as the point of contact for trades people.
- Keep a record of all your correspondence (i.e. log phone conversations so that advice given is recorded) and devise a system to keep track of your documents.
- Quotes are easiest to compare if they are itemised.
- Lastly, devise a two-tier project in case you don’t get awarded all the funding you applied for. This allows you to at least achieve one of your goals.