Type of Challenge:
This is a Team challenge that will require at least 3 members.
- 2 cartons of eggs
- Garbage bags
- At least two cartons of eggs
- 2 friends!
Use the instructions to conduct the walking on eggs experiment!
- Spread the plastic trash bag (or bags) out on the floor and arrange the egg cartons into two rows on top of them.
- Inspect all of the eggs to make sure there are no breaks or fractures in any of the eggshells. Make any replacements that might be necessary.
- It’s important to make sure all of the eggs are oriented the same way in the cartons too. One end of the egg is more “pointy” while the other end is more round. Just make sure that all of the eggs are oriented in the same direction. By doing this, your foot will have a more level surface on which to stand.
- Remove your shoes and socks. Find a friend to assist you as you step up onto the first carton of eggs. The key is to make your foot as flat as possible in order to distribute your weight evenly across the tops of the eggs. If the ball of your foot is large, you might try positioning it between two rows of eggs instead of resting it on the top of an egg.
- When your foot is properly positioned, slowly shift all of your weight onto the egg-leg as you position your other foot on top of the second carton of eggs.
- There will be creaking sounds coming from the egg carton, but don’t get nervous. Ask your friends to step away so that your full weight is on the eggs.
- If you have more than two cartons of eggs, what are you waiting for? Keep walking!
Take a photo of you standing on the eggs, tell us why you think it works or doesn’t work and let us know what happened.