This fun and light activity can be done independently or over 2 nights as part of an online scout meeting.
A small section of the meeting to introduce the ‘Plan’ in week 1 and the full meeting to cook and review in week 2.
- Research lightweight recipe options – does your group have some favourite ideas or websites?
- Work out a meal with ingredients that are light and don’t need to be refrigerated on a hike
- What cooking equipment do you have? – a small hike stove if you have one, a single small pot on a stove if you don’t
- Can you get the ingredients at your local supermarket? Some American websites might have recipes with ingredients not available in Australia.
- Prepare a shopping list with quantities
- Pack the ingredients as if you were taking them on a hike – eg Ziploc bag with only the amount of dry ingredients you need
- Be aware of safety issues with knives, hot stoves
- Cook your food
- Eat it
- Clean up
- Did it taste good?
- What could you add or leave out to make it taste better next time?
- Was there enough to fill you up after a big day hiking?
- How heavy was it to carry?