- The following qualification for Adventurous Activities is a Trained Participant. Trained Participant provides an adult helper, Leader, Rover Scout or Venturer Scout the qualification to lead more activities and assist Leaders on other activities that carry more risk, such as abseiling. You will usually need to be a Safe Participant before requesting Trained Participant. If you have the experience and skills, you can directly request Trained Participant rather than getting Safe Participant first.
- There are three steps to achieving a Trained Participant qualification.
Step 1 – Obtain the Right Folio (workbook) for the Discipline you working on
As part of the qualification, you will need to complete a Core Trained Participant Folio (workbook), common for all activity disciplines, and the specific discipline Folio. Often, you can demonstrate the skills within the Trained Participant Core whilst working on other disciplines. Once completed for one discipline the TP Core does not need to be repeated.
Folios (which we used to call workbooks) provide you with one way of demonstrating you have the knowledge and capability to become qualified. The Folio is broken into three parts:
- Part 1 – Pre-Pathway Evidence – details the online training and allows you to demonstrate your knowledge.
- Part 2 – On-Pathway Evidence – details what you need to demonstrate to a Guide whilst participating in an activity.
- Part 3 – Post-Pathway Evidence – provides a place to review your activity and guide how to log a specific number of activities.
Step 2 – Find a Course or Activity
The next thing you need to do is find courses or activities either in your Group or by checking the Find an Activity page. Take your Logbook and complete Folio (workbook). Consult the Guide on the activity with the qualifications you seek, asking them to check your knowledge and skills. If they think you have the knowledge and skills, they will approve your Folio. If you have to work on points, that’s ok. Find another course or activity and repeat. Once you have logged several activities (usually three), you are ready for the next step.
Step 3 – Request Qualification
Use this Qualification Request Form to request qualification. You’ll need to submit your Logbook, Folio and other evidence. Check out the Logbook Support Guide. The Form will be routed automatically to a moderator, and you may be asked for more information. Once approved, you will receive an email with a qualification certificate you can print, and your qualification will be recorded in Scoutlink.